Best Cool Things for an Apartment
Are you tired of your apartment feeling drab and uninspiring? Do you want to add some personality and style to your living space without breaking the bank? Look no further! In this blog post, we have compiled a list of 10 cool things that will enhance your apartment and make it feel like a home. From innovative storage solutions to unique decor pieces, these items are sure to impress both you and your guests. So sit back, relax, and get ready to transform your apartment into the ultimate urban oasis!
If you’re looking for ways to enhance your living space and make your apartment cooler, there are plenty of options available. From simple changes like adding a few new pieces of furniture or artwork, to more drastic measures like painting the walls or changing the flooring, there are many ways to give your apartment a fresh new look.
No matter what your budget is, there are plenty of cool things you can do to make your apartment more stylish and inviting. Keep reading for some great ideas on how to improve your apartment’s appearance and feel.
There are many ways to enhance your living space with wall art. You can add a pop of color with a painting or photograph, or make a statement with a large piece of artwork. Wall art is a great way to personalize your space and make it your own. It can also be a great conversation starter when you have guests over. Here are some tips for choosing the right wall art for your home:
- Consider the colors in your space and how you want the art to complement them.
- Think about the overall style of your home and what kind of art would fit in with that.
- If you have a specific theme or subject that you want to focus on, look for artwork that relates to that.
- Don’t be afraid to mix and match different styles of artwork to create an eclectic look.
- And most importantly, choose something that you love!
There are a few different ways you can go about lighting your apartment. You can use overhead lighting, lamps, or even string lights to create the perfect ambiance.
Overhead lighting is great for general illumination, but it can be a little harsh. Lamps are a great way to add some extra light without being too overwhelming. String lights are a fun way to add some personality to your space. they can be hung around the perimeter of your room or even draped over furniture.
Decorative Pillows and Throws
If you’re looking for ways to enhance your living space, consider adding some decorative pillows and throws. Pillows and throws can add color, pattern, and texture to any room, and they can be easily swapped out when you want a change. Plus, they’re a great way to personalize your space and make it feel like home.
When shopping for pillows and throws, look for ones that are made from natural fabrics like cotton or linen. They’ll be more comfortable to use and easier to care for than synthetic options. And don’t forget to consider the size of the pillows and throws you choose. You’ll want them to be proportional to the furniture in the room so they don’t look out of place.
Pillows and throws are an easy and inexpensive way to enhance your living space. With a little bit of shopping around, you can find options that fit both your style and your budget. So why not give them a try?
When it comes to window treatments, there are a few things you can do to enhance your living space. First, consider adding curtains or blinds to your windows. This will give you privacy and help keep your apartment cool during the summer months. You can also add a valance or cornice board to add a touch of style to your windows. Don’t forget about the window film! Window film can help reduce glare and UV rays, and it comes in a variety of styles to suit any decor.
Get them from Amazon for $50.00 (originally $95.99)
Rugs or Carpets
Rugs and carpets are a great way to add color and style to your apartment. They can also help protect your floors from dirt and wear. When choosing rugs or carpets for your apartment, be sure to consider the following:
- The size of the rug or carpet. You’ll want to make sure it’s large enough to cover the area you want it to, but not so large that it overwhelmed traffic patterns in your home, and choose a size that will accommodate them.
- The material. Rugs and carpets come in a variety of materials, from natural fibers like wool to synthetic fibers like polyester. Consider the climate in your apartment and choose a material that will be comfortable in that environment.
- The color. Choose a color that complements the furniture and decor in your apartment. If you have a lot of bold colors, go for a neutral rug or carpet. If you have more subdued colors, you can add some interest with a patterned rug or carpet.
Get them from Amazon for $21.98 (originally $34.98)
Plants & Greenery
Plants and greenery are a great way to enhance your living space. They can add color, texture, and life to any room. There are many different ways to incorporate plants into your home, so there’s sure to be a style that fits your taste.
One of the easiest ways to add plants to your home is to purchase them already potted. This takes the guesswork out of watering and fertilizing, and they usually come with care instructions. If you’re not sure where to start, succulents are a low-maintenance option that can thrive indoors.
If you want more of a challenge, you can try growing your own plants from seed. This is a fun project for kids or adults, and it’s satisfying to watch something you’ve grown yourself flourish. Houseplants like herbs or tomatoes are good choices for beginners.
No matter what route you choose, adding plants to your home is a great way to spruce up your living space.
List of starter plants:
1. Monstera Deliciosa:
- Large, trendy houseplant
- Iconic split leaves
- Low-maintenance and adaptable
2. Snake Plant (Sansevieria):
- Hardy indoor plant
- Air-purifying qualities
- Variety of shapes and sizes
3. Fiddle Leaf Fig:
- Popular indoor tree
- Striking large leaves
- Adds a touch of elegance
- Versatile trailing plant
- Thrives in various light conditions
- Ideal for beginners
- Diverse range of shapes and colors
- Minimal watering needed
- Great for small spaces
6. Spider Plant:
- Easy-care and adaptable
- Produces “babies” (offsets)
- Purifies indoor air
7. Peace Lily:
- Elegant white flowers
- Improves indoor air quality
- Tolerates low light
8. ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia):
- Low-maintenance and resilient
- Glossy, dark green leaves
- Thrives in low light conditions
9. Rubber Plant:
- Bold, glossy leaves
- Adaptable and forgiving
- Adds a touch of drama
- A fragrant and soothing herb
- Popular for aromatherapy
- Attracts pollinators to gardens
Mirrors & Clocks
Decorative mirrors and clocks are a great way to enhance your living space. They can be used to add a touch of style or make a small space appear larger. Wall mirrors can also be used to reflect light and brighten up a room. Clocks are not only functional but can also be used as wall art. Choose unique styles that complement your décor and personal taste.
Furniture Pieces for Accentuating Your Space
When considering what furniture pieces to add to your apartment, keep in mind how each piece can contribute to the overall aesthetic of your space. Here are a few ideas for furniture pieces that can help accentuate your apartment:
- A bright and colorful sofa: A sofa is often one of the largest pieces of furniture in a living space, so choosing one with a bold and eye-catching color can really make a statement. If you want to go even further, consider a patterned or printed sofa.
- Airy and light coffee table: A coffee table is another essential piece of furniture for most living spaces. To keep things feeling light and airy, consider opting for a glass or acrylic coffee table.
- An interesting bookshelf: Bookshelves are not only functional but can also be quite stylish. Look for an interesting shape or material for your bookshelf, such as a ladder-style shelf or one made from reclaimed wood.
- A floor lamp with personality: Floor lamps are great for adding both ambient lighting and a touch of style to a space. Consider finding a floor lamp with an interesting base or shade to help give your apartment some personality.
Accessories to Add a Personal Touch
There are plenty of ways to add a personal touch to your apartment and make it feel like your own. Here are a few ideas:
- Add some photos or artwork. This is an easy way to make your space feel more personal and unique. You can frame some of your favorite photos or prints, or even hang up tapestries or other textile-based artwork.
- Incorporate plants into your decor. Plants can help purify the air in your home and they can also add a touch of life to any space. Choose plants that fit with your aesthetic and take care of them so they thrive.
- Bring in some cozy blankets and pillows. These items will make your apartment feel more like a home – somewhere you can relax and unwind at the end of a long day. Plus, they’ll come in handy during the colder months when you need some extra warmth!
- Create a gallery wall. This is another great way to display some of your favorite photos or art pieces. Plus, it’s a fun project to put together and you can change it up whenever you want.
- Use fun, patterned rugs or curtains. These items can really brighten up a space and add some personality. If you’re not sure where to start, try looking for patterns that reflect your own style – whether that’s boho chic, minimalist, or something else entirely!
Adding string lights to your apartment is an easy and inexpensive way to enhance your living space. They can be hung around the perimeter of a room, along a mantel or shelf, or even in a window. String lights come in a variety of colors and styles, so you can find the perfect ones to complement your décor.
Coffee Table Decorations
Your coffee table is one of the most important pieces of furniture in your apartment. It’s where you’ll spend most of your time relaxing and entertaining guests. So, it’s important to make sure it looks good! Here are some tips for decorating your coffee table:
- Start with a centerpiece. This can be a vase of flowers, a bowl of fruit, or even a stack of books.
- Add some candles. Candles add a touch of romance and ambiance to any room.
- Include a few personal items. Photographs, art prints, and trinkets all make great coffee table decorations. Just make sure not to overcrowd the surface!
- Keep it simple. Sometimes less is more when it comes to decorating. A few well-chosen pieces will make more impact than a cluttered table.
There are all sorts of ways to enhance your apartment and make it more livable, but one of the coolest things you can do is add an entertainment system. This could include a big-screen TV, a sound system, or even a game console.
If you really want to go all out, you could even create a home theater setup complete with surround sound and comfortable seating. This would be the ultimate way to relax and unwind after a long day.
No matter what kind of entertainment system you choose, it will definitely make your apartment feel more like home.
- Home Theater Systems: Enjoy immersive audio and high-definition video with advanced home theater setups.
- Wireless Surround Sound: Experience room-filling audio without messy wires using cutting-edge wireless surround sound systems.
- 4K Ultra HD TVs: Elevate your visual experience with crystal-clear 4K Ultra HD televisions for lifelike picture quality.
- Smart Streaming Devices: Access streaming services and apps seamlessly through smart streaming devices, transforming your TV into a multimedia hub.
- Gaming Consoles: Dive into interactive entertainment with the latest gaming consoles, offering a range of gaming experiences for all ages.
- Soundbars with Subwoofers: Enhance your TV audio with sleek soundbars and powerful subwoofers, creating a theater-like soundstage.
- Voice-Activated Controls: Simplify your entertainment system with voice-activated controls, allowing you to manage content and devices hands-free.
- Multi-Room Audio Systems: Enjoy synchronized music playback throughout your home with multi-room audio systems for an immersive audio experience.
- Projection Home Theaters: Create a cinematic atmosphere with projection home theaters, projecting larger-than-life visuals onto a screen or wall.
- Virtual Reality (VR) Systems: Immerse yourself in virtual worlds with VR systems, offering a new dimension of entertainment and exploration.
When it comes to kitchen appliances, there are a few must-haves that will make your life much easier. A good blender is a must for anyone who loves smoothies or milkshakes. If you like to cook, then a good set of knives is essential. A toaster oven is also a great appliance to have in an apartment because it doesn’t take up a lot of space and it’s perfect for small meals or snacks.
- Smart Coffee Maker: Enjoy your favorite brew with precision and convenience using a smart coffee maker that offers customizable brewing options.
- Air Fryer with Healthy Cooking: Cook crispy and flavorful dishes using an air fryer, which uses less oil for healthier meals.
- High-Speed Blender for Smoothies: Blend up nutritious smoothies and shakes with a high-speed blender that crushes ice and tough ingredients effortlessly.
- Multi-Function Instant Pot: Simplify cooking with an instant pot that functions as a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, and more in one appliance.
- Efficient Food Processor: Save time on meal prep with a versatile food processor that chops, slices, dices, and kneads ingredients.
- Convection Toaster Oven: Bake, roast, and toast efficiently with a convection toaster oven that evenly circulates heat for optimal results.
- Induction Cooktop for Precision: Experience quick and precise cooking with an induction cooktop that heats up faster and offers precise temperature control.
- Versatile Stand Mixer: Create delectable baked goods effortlessly using a stand mixer equipped with various attachments for different tasks.
- Cold Press Juicer for Nutrients: Extract nutrients from fruits and vegetables with a cold press juicer that operates at lower speeds to minimize heat and oxidation.
- Sous Vide Precision Cooker: Achieve restaurant-quality results with sous vide precision cooker that cooks food to the exact temperature you desire
There are a few key bathroom accessories that can really enhance your living space and make it more comfortable. Here are some cool things for an apartment that will make your life easier:
- A good toilet brush is essential for keeping your toilet clean. This one from OXO Good Grips has a comfortable handle and a long, slim head that reaches all the hard-to-reach places.
- A quality shower curtain is important for both function and style. We like this one from Maytex because it’s made of durable fabric and has a trendy geometric design.
- For those who like to take long baths, a bath pillow is a must-have accessory. This one from Gorilla Grip has suction cups that keep it securely in place, and it’s filled with soft, supportive foam.
- Keep your bathroom looking tidy with a stylish wastebasket. This woven option from Home Logic is both sturdy and attractive.
- Don’t forget about towel hooks or bars! These are handy for hanging wet towels to dry, or for storing extra hand towels within easy reach. We like these simple chrome hooks from Franklin Brass.
Also, check the following list of bathroom accessories that make your life easy:
- Luxury Bath Towel Sets – Elevate your bathroom with plush, absorbent towel sets for a touch of everyday indulgence.
- Stylish Shower Curtains – Transform your shower space with trendy and water-resistant curtains that add both function and flair.
- Sleek Bathroom Organizers – Keep your essentials in order with space-saving organizers, from wall-mounted shelves to under-sink caddies.
- Eco-Friendly Bamboo Bath Mat – Add a touch of nature with a non-slip, moisture-resistant bamboo mat that enhances safety and aesthetics.
- Modern Vanity Mirrors with LED Lighting – Illuminate your grooming routine with LED-lit mirrors, combining style and practicality.
- Aromatherapy Diffusers – Create a spa-like ambiance with aroma diffusers, promoting relaxation and a fresh bathroom atmosphere.
- Elegant Soap Dispensers – Upgrade your hand-washing experience with elegant and hygienic soap dispensers that complement your decor.
- Waterproof Bluetooth Shower Speaker – Enjoy your favorite tunes or take calls while bathing with a waterproof speaker designed for the shower.
- Designer Toothbrush Holders – Keep toothbrushes organized and countertops tidy with designer holders that add a touch of sophistication.
- Space-Saving Over-the-Toilet Storage – Maximize storage in small bathrooms with stylish over-the-toilet shelving units that balance functionality and aesthetics.
An apartment should be a place of comfort, creativity, and relaxation – and you can make that happen with the right pieces. We hope this list has given you some ideas for ways to enhance your living space. From stylish furniture pieces to wall art and other decorative accents, there are so many cool things for an apartment that will transform it into your very own home sweet home! Now the only thing left is to get shopping!
How can I make my apartment more fun?
To infuse your apartment with a lively vibe, consider incorporating vibrant colors, playful patterns, and unique decor pieces. Incorporating a variety of textures like cozy rugs, quirky throw pillows, and eye-catching wall art can create a visually appealing and engaging environment. Setting up a dedicated entertainment area with a gaming console, a collection of board games, or even a mini home theater can make your apartment a hub of fun activities.
Plants, both real and artificial, not only add a touch of nature but also contribute to a refreshing atmosphere. Additionally, personalization is key—display cherished memories through photo collages, create a reading nook with a comfy chair and good lighting, and experiment with lighting options like fairy lights or neon signs to set the mood for different occasions.
What are the things I need in my apartment?
Equipping your apartment with essential items ensures both functionality and comfort. Start with basic furniture such as a bed, sofa, dining table, and chairs. Kitchen necessities like cookware, utensils, and appliances like a microwave and toaster are crucial. For the bedroom, consider storage solutions like shelves or dressers, along with comfortable bedding.
Adequate lighting in the form of floor lamps, table lamps, or ceiling fixtures is essential. Don’t forget about bathroom essentials like towels, a shower curtain, and toiletries storage. Lastly, cleaning supplies like a vacuum cleaner, mop, and cleaning agents will help you maintain a tidy space. Tailor your list to your specific needs and preferences, considering factors like your lifestyle, daily routine, and available space.
How can I make my cheap apartment look nice?
Decorating on a budget doesn’t mean sacrificing style. Start by decluttering and organizing your space to create a clean canvas. Opt for multifunctional furniture that maximizes utility and saves space. Thrift stores, flea markets, and online marketplaces are goldmines for affordable yet unique decor pieces.
DIY projects like creating your own wall art, repurposing old furniture with a fresh coat of paint, or making inexpensive curtains from fabric remnants can add a personal touch. Adding mirrors strategically can create an illusion of space and reflect light, making your apartment look more open and inviting. Utilize removable wallpaper or decals to add personality without making permanent changes. Plants are affordable and can instantly breathe life into any space. With a little creativity, your cheap apartment can exude charm and style.
How much should I spend on my first apartment?
Setting a budget for your first apartment is essential to avoid financial strain. Generally, experts recommend spending around 25% to 30% of your monthly income on rent. Calculate your monthly income after taxes and deductions to determine this figure. Consider additional costs beyond rent, such as utilities, internet, and renters’ insurance.
It’s also crucial to allocate funds for groceries, transportation, and savings. Create a comprehensive budget that covers all expenses, ensuring you have a clear idea of your financial capacity. While it’s tempting to splurge on furnishings and decor, start with the essentials and gradually upgrade as your budget allows. Being financially responsible from the outset will set a solid foundation for a comfortable and stress-free living experience in your new apartment.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase, at no additional cost. Learn more.